Wednesday, May 28, 2008

From Auto to Alto - Part 1: The Auto

During my college years, I used to regularly travel in the over-crowded buses of Bangalore. At times, during one of these journeys from home to college or back, I used to look at the various 2 and 4 wheelers passing-by and wonder if or when I would have a vehicle of my own. I'd imagine myself in one of those luxury cars or those macho bikes, happily travelling all by myself. That'd bring a smile to my face and help me endure the push and pull of the mad crowd in the bus.

Finishing college, I started working pretty much immediately. Didn't yet own a vehicle and I'd had enough of Bangalore's over-crowded, perennially late buses. I decided to start travelling by auto rickshaws till I had better means to buy a vehicle. I always enjoyed the unique travel experience provided by autos. So much so, that my family and friend's dubbed me 'Auto King' or 'Auto Raja' due to my love of autos. I also realized that auto drivers were inclined to pour their hearts out to anyone who cared to listen with a sympathetic ear. Autos with features such as loud speakers (boy could they be loud), seat cushions, strange blinking serial lights or startlingly posed photographs of heroes/heroines meant that that auto driver took himself and his auto quite seriously and the passengers, if at all they chose to speak, would be better off singing praises about the plush interiors. ;-)

Strangely enough I never did pursue the idea of owning a vehicle for a long time. Why so? It made perfectly logical sense to buy a vehicle and save on the travel expenses plus have the freedom to travel whenever and wherever that I pleased to. But I just didn't buy one. I guess I just wasn't ready for the responsibilities that came with owning a vehicle.

But alas, the good times didn't last and there soon came the time when I had to change my opinion about autos and move on to buy a vehicle of my own.

To be continued...

12 comments:

e-Yogi e-യോഗി said...

Waiting to read more about ur riding adventures ! :)

Romila said...

To me, auto drivers never seemed to want to go anywhere, esp. anywhere close to the place I stay and that too, at double fare or hiked up fare.

Nice read, coming for second series soon:)

George Philip said...

So its Auto Raja to Alto Raja :)

Sakshi Gaurav said...

An excellent piece of work . With words woven around magically to create a masterpiece as this.
Simple yet effective...

lucky said...

Title the best for the Auto king or Auto Raja- From auto to alto! Good framing as usual with a pinch of humor in everything :-) Wheres the next part???

Siddhartha Sen said...

I liked your detailed observation and experience about Auto :)
I use auto only for Airport, which I think now will be reduced due to Volvo buses :) Thanks to KSRTC.

Sreedhar said...

Alto Raja ki Jai! :)

Balki said...

Nice one ya..Aoto che Alto Raja... Carry on...waiting for the second part...do touch upon the "plush interiors" of "The Alto" in that...would love to know..

Bhavna said...

AUTO RAJA .....nice one :)
Great read Jai....when is the next one releasing?

Romila said...

Came by to wish and ur family a prosperous year ahead.

sowmya said...

this auto raja was a pleasant man but what he was going to turn into is a suspense waiting for the second post

Shenoy said...

other 10 days and you will be celebrating the first anniversary of your last post. post maadi saar! continue maadi the since you did say to be continued....