Thursday, September 20, 2007

A book, the world for a book!

Sometime during a year and half ago, I got jaded with reading in general and packed all my books up. Cardboard boxes filled up, and thusly they remained gathering dust.

Recently I picked up one of my all time fav book:

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance - Robert M. Pirsig

As Bacon said 'Some books are to be tasted..'.. this one's to be read wholly and diligently. I'm borrowing a few words from wikipedia to describe the book's content:

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry into Values is the first of Robert M. Pirsig's texts in which he explores a Metaphysics of quality. The 1974 book describes a journey across the United States, punctuated by numerous philosophical discussions (many of them on epistemology and the philosophy of science) which the author refers to as chautauquas. The title is an incongruous play on the title of the earlier Eugen Herrigel book Zen in the Art of Archery.

Here's the link if you'd want to read more about it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zen_and_the_Art_of_Motorcycle_Maintenance

5 comments:

Romila said...

Hi Jai,
Impressive collection of Books. You seemed to be a thriller fan and a Zen enthusiasts.

Jai said...

Heya romila :)

Thanks, been reading and collecting books for quite a while now. And yeah I used to be a thriller fan, but I other than thrillers I also am a fan of genres like Humour, non-fiction, Poetry.

I'm still reading the 5.someone book you gave me :)

Unknown said...

hi jai...
Zen n d art of motorcycle maintenance is a great one ...read it quite sometime bak...btw checked ur shelfari..nice collection :)

Sreedhar said...

This book is not about Zen and it is not about Motorcyles...how is that for a misleading title!

I am finding it strange that two of my all time favorite books have names which have very little to do with their content.

The other one is Animal Farm...Not about Animals...definitely not about Farming!

:)

Sreedhar said...
This comment has been removed by the author.